April 02, 2010

Happy Birthday, Marvin.


Marvin Gaye April 2, 1939 - April 1, 1984.


Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album speaks to me. In my humble opinion, it is probably the best soul album ever created.

1971. The United States is locked in civil unrest. Vietnam is raging. The country is still recovering from the deaths of King, Malcolm X and John & Bobby Kennedy. The economy isn't so great. Marvin's friend and singing partner, Tammi Terrell, died a year earlier from brain cancer. With the world seemingly coming apart around him, Marvin Gaye went in the studio and recorded one of the most beautiful and socially relevant albums, ever committed to tape.

WGO is a standing document of the soul of man, dealing with forces beyond his control. The brilliance of said album lies in the threads that give the album its cohesiveness. It's as much swinging soul music as it is a collection of hymns set to R&B backdrops. It's Holy. It's pure. It's vulnerable. It speaks to the state of the world. It concerns itself with the livelihood of our children and future generations. It brings us to task for the environment. It talks about the war and its returning soldiers. It's sad. It's strong. It's equal parts church AND Soul Train.

It serves as a time capsule of the 1960's/70's. It's just as relevant in 2010.

Much has been said/documented about Marvin's life. The good.....and the very bad.

When it's all said and done, Marvin Gaye should be recognized for what he truly was---a musical prophet.

I don't think that we realize how much of a genius Marvin was/is. I don't think we realize how much of a genius work What's Going On really is. It is one of the most profound musical statements of the 20th Century.

Happy Birthday, Marvin Gaye.

Amen.




Hey Baby, What'cha know good?
I'm just gettin' back, but you knew I would.
War is hell, when will it end?
When will people start getting' together again?
Are things really gettin' better, like the newspaper said?
What else is new my friend, besides what I read?
Can't find no work, can't find no job my friend,
Money is tighter than it's ever been.
Say man, I just dont understand
What's going on across this land.
Ah, what's happening brother.
Oh ya, whats happening my man?
Are they still getting' down where we used to go and dance?
Will our ball club win the pennant, do you think they have a chance?
And tell me friend, how in the world have you been?
What's the deal man, what's happening
Whats happening brother?
Ah, what's happening brother
What's happening my man?
Ah, what's happening brother
What's been shakin' up and down the line
I want to know 'cause I'm slightly behind...the times.

No comments: