April 20, 2010

Technique 101, Section A



I'm blown away, right now. One of my favorite emcee's from one of my favorite groups...Gone. Well, I'm carrying on the legacy. You wannabe rap kids need to take a lesson. Let me regain my composure. I got my chalk. I'm at the chalkboard.

I'm taking you to school. Class in session.



Song: "Check The Technique"
Album: Step In The Arena

Why is this important?

This song is damn near perfect. Execution. Production. Lyrics. Composition. It's just a well-crafted mix of the aforementioned ingredients. The loop of the strings. The way certain musical elements play out and then give way to other sounds on the track (i.e. the orchestra samples vs. the voice samples). It plays well in the ride. It bangs in the headphones. Then, we have GURU. He's not rhyming too modest. He's not trying to overpower the track. His voice compliments the track and vice-versa.

It's just a dude with a mic. Another dude behind the turntables.

That's Hip-Hop.

Don't let them tell you otherwise.

2 comments:

Fly X Chromozome said...

**Getting out my Jazzmatazz**

Fly X Chromozome said...

**Getting out my Jazzmatazz**