April 21, 2010

Technique 101, Section B




Wednedsay morning. I still can't believe it. GURU. Wow.

I'm teaching this Keith Elam/G.U.R.U./Gang Starr ish ALL week. I might even do a 4 week class. I'm doing my part. We're paying homage. The "chain and the star" won't die...not on my watch.

Okay, class, take your seats. Class is in session.

Song: "Watch What You Say"
Album: GURU's Jazzmatazz II (Chrysalis Records. 1995)


Why is this important?

C'mon, boys & girls. This one is a "gimme". Chaka Khan. GURU. Branford Marsalis. DJ Premier. Do I really need to expound on why this is dope? Do I really need to tell you how huge this is? This needs no commentary. Rarely, do these sorts of collabs work. Sometimes, it's difficult to align the greater aspects of the individual forces included. You may have great components, but that doesn't always make for a perfect stew. This? This works on so many levels. GURU's--just enough--lyrics. Chaka's vocal assist. Premo's jazz-infused boom bap. Branford? He brings it home.

Again: Chaka Khan. GURU. Branford Marsalis. DJ Premier.

It's like the Justice League of music.

Superheroes. Indeed.

1 comment:

Fly X Chromozome said...

Still cant believe it myself, but this blog is the dopeness Zee.